Interests

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Origami Rehab

With time on my hands I decided to try origami as a way to pass the time while my hip rehabs.

I started by attempting to fold models from a kit i had purchased at the MIT museum store a week or so before surgery.  The kit was of "Geometric Origami" and I quickly found even the most basic cube and tetrahedrons were not folding well. I decided either I didn't understand what I was doing or the instructions in the booklet were poor.....so i searched the intertubes for traditional origami to both practice folding and learn from a source other then the booklet that came with the geometric kit.

Over the last couple of weeks I've spent hours folding traditional Origami - starting with boxes and then moving on to flowers and animals, returning to the cube and tetrahedron that i had been unable to do originally.  As it turns out my first attempts were failing both because of my ineptitude and the poor quality paper in the kit. Martha picked up some origami paper at michael's  (the Paper Store didn't have any - go figure) and that made a huge difference.

The following posts include most of the models I've made - in some cases it took many practice models to get to one good example - others just folded up fine the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment