Interests

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Early Projects - geometric shapes

A Box
This is "A Box 3" from this diagram at the Origami Club.  I particularly like taking a square sheet of paper and turning it into a open container. This is one of the papers Martha picked up for me - "Miyabi Chiyogami Komon, Washi Chiyogami". Its textured, most obviously on the white side, and the printed side retains its pattern well at the folds.

Star Basket

 This is a traditional "Star Basket" from this diagram at origami USA  I used Aitoh Origami paper which is the other kind Martha picked up at Michael's... unlike the other paper which  this one has solid colors and little or no texture. The paper and color holds up well at the folds though.   This is one of my favorites, a neat container that looks cool.



I'd provide a pointer to the diagram, but for the life of me i can't find the source I used for this one. Its my first attempt at a simple square box. I used the Aitoh paper for this final model. Unlike the star box folding this one wasn't as much fun -I've made many star boxes, but I don't expect I'll do this one again.

A few more....
Open Pyramid Container

The "truncated" Pyramid above is a fun container to fold and relatively simple, The site i found the diagram on appears broken now - but the same diagram can be found here in a slightly funky format.

Tetrahedron
This is the tetrahedron which i had trouble with originally. This model is completed with Miyabi paper. I've concluded the paper that came with the original "kit" was of poor quality and the diagrams contained subtle errors which only are obvious now that I've done a fair number models. Perhaps I'm still reading it wrong but the example above is impossible if you faithfully follow the diagram!

Cube
Same as the tetrahedron above this is cube which didn't fold well originally. In this case the diagram was OK - but the finished models just didn't look as good as when done with Aitoh paper as shown. At some point I'll find a diagram on line and create new models of the tetrahedron and cube and provide the links.



I particularly liked making  this box -  the contrast in color and (relatively) crisp lines are visually interesting. The Aitoh paper has some nice solid colors. Secondly the folding is fun too - pretty simple with only nine steps. The initial steps create a series creases but leave the sheet flat....then in single step you create the box...and finally you fold the flaps down creating the contrasting color and locking the shape in place. Like the pyramid the site i found the diagram on appears broken - but i found the authors own site with it here

No comments:

Post a Comment