Interests

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Modular Origami


When I started folding I was hoping to do geometric shapes.  I discovered that meant making multiple identical components, in some cases as many as 30 or more. Even though the components were not complicated the idea of creating many identical ones gave me pause ...and I  moved on to single sheet designs.





Well this weekend  I revisited the component origami designs and created a  couple using  "sonobe" components. Both of these cubes are made with identical components although the final folds are subtly different. The larger cube uses 12 component pieces, the smaller 6.  The diagonal pattern of the smaller cube is more pleasing to my eye- and if i was to reassemble the larger cube I'd reverse it - at the moment the diagonals are visible inside the cube - it was an aha! moment when i realized that the hidden interior was going to mirror (more or less) the smaller cube.



Another discovery was that my color selection  is becoming limited - I've burned through a fair amount of paper while rehab'ing my hip and my preferred colors have been used up!


I've made 30 sonobe components using some patterned paper and plan to attempt assembling a more complex Icoshedral Model

No comments:

Post a Comment